OUR SUMMER EDITION OF MOUNTAIN LINES IS NOW AVAILABLE
Our summer edition of the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy Mountain Lines is now available!
In this quarterly edition, you will learn about our:
- Bird surveys that track population trends over time and between sites within and outside Scottsdale’s McDowell Sonoran Preserve, noting which species are increasing or declining in numbers or shifting their distributions.
- Ecology Explorers collaboration. In a concerted effort to curb “nature deficit disorder” that many children experience today and expose them to the wonders of the great outdoors, the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy’s Parsons Field Institute partnered with Arizona State University’s Ecology Explorers, thanks to generous financial support from Thunderbird Charities, to bring science education opportunities into the classroom.
- Preservation partnership with the City of Scottsdale.
- Hands-on corporate team building days we sponsor in the Preserve.
- Recap of the Arid Lands Symposium: Integrating Research into Action.
- Balanced Rock hike to the large mushroom-shaped granite boulder perched on a large rock outcropping that offers expansive views of the McDowell Mountains, along with some interesting geological formations.
- Mentoring the White Tank Mountains Conservancy.
- Efforts to assist in the recovery of disturbed biocrusts using microbial nurseries and microbial restoration.
- Sonoran Desert toad and the challenges this species has to overcome to survive life in our dry heat.
- Desert perennial Ocotillo that lives an average of 60 years.
- $600,000 grant from the Bob & Renee Parsons Foundation that ensures we can continue critical mission-driven work to protect the Preserve and partner with the region’s environmental, ecological and natural resource management community.
- Wildlife tracking – a skill in observation that requires slowing down to take time to notice the small details.
- Invitation to support the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy with a monthly donation.
- Encouragement to register for the Tour de Scottsdale cycling event on October 7.
This magazine is a window into the work and impact that the Conservancy has on our local treasure, Scottsdale’s McDowell Sonoran Preserve. To read an online copy, click on the link at: Mountain Lines.